Thursday, October 16, 2014

The faces behind the numbers

This post appeared in Dutch on the Oikocredit Netherlands website

Today is Blog Action Day. On this day, people around the world post blogs to draw attention to a designated theme. This year: inequality, a topic that I focus on in my research.




I travelled to Bolivia two years ago. During my stay I interviewed individuals about their experience with inequality. I was perfectly prepared. I had carefully drawn diagrams representing different income distributions on my computer. Identical rectangles pieced together into a pyramid or an hourglass. The questions – thanks to my language course – were translated to Spanish. And, of course, I had read all the relevant academic papers. I was ready.

My host family in Tarija, a small town close to the Argentinian border, warmly welcomed me. I went to a wedding, celebrated New Year’s Eve, and got acquainted with all the aunts and uncles. The culture shock that I had expected didn’t come. The heels were a bit too high for my Dutch feet and the language was more melodious than my own. But with Teresa, the host family’s daughter, I chatted as I would with my friends at home. We shared experiences, enjoyed the same food, and our jeans looked alike.

Shock

The biggest shock I experienced in those first days was that I sometimes felt relatively poor. Like when Jorge – member of the local Rotary Club – showed me a new Santa Cruz neighbourhood. Ten years ago it had been a deserted area, now it was filled with villas, fancy cars, and high fences. Or the time that I was invited for a lunch in an old colonial house filled with antique furniture. When we had finished our starters, my host rang a copper bell. A second later, the two helps entered to clean the table and serve the main dish.

The fifty-eight year old woman Venita broke my bubble. Equipped with a stack of questionnaires, I had arrived at the office of Mujeres en Acción. This organisation aims to empower women that work as household help. Since recently this occupational group was legally entitled to the minimum wage. However, in practice little had changed.

Venita was shorter than me by twenty centimeters. She was dressed in a gray sweater and a worn pair of jeans. “How happy are you on a scale from one to ten?” “One” she answered. She looked fragile and I wondered whether I should just leave her alone. “My employer pays me 200 bolivianos (23 euro) per month. I don’t dare to ask for more. They will probably fire me if I do. And I have no other place to go. I am too old. I live outside in a small tent.”

Rich and poor

“Next, I am going to ask you some questions about the distribution of money between rich and poor in Bolivia” I continued. I glanced at the abstract diagrams I had designed in The Netherlands. Venita could neither read nor write. I cursed at myself. How was she supposed to understand these collections of rectangles? But before I could ask my first question, she started to talk. “Let me tell you how Bolivia works. There are many poor people and very few rich. There is nothing in between.” She straightened her back. “And it only gets worse. People are not to be trusted, let alone the government. Many words, but no actions.” She looked at me with her dark eyes. I bit my pen and flipped through the questionnaire. Venita had just, without realising, answered two pages of questions.


I sometimes think of her when I am gazing at averages, standard deviations or regression coefficients. Because Venita hides behind these numbers. Or Jorge. Or Teresa. People who sometimes taught me more than a dozen academic papers. People who gave faces to abstract concepts. People who answered questions that I could not have thought of. It is their voice that I want my research to echo. 


10 comments:

  1. This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself..
    learn english language hk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At : ahmedconsultancycompany@gmail.com
    Phone number :+1 516-591-0949 (Whatsapp Only)

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Credit Card Clearance Loan
    *Debt Consolidation Loan
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Contact Us At :ahmedconsultancycompany@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We CLOSED JOINT-STOCK COMPANY AGS OIL is one of the leading Oil & Gas trading companies in Russia Federation with good business reputation and well experienced in the Petroleum and mining sector. We offer the following trades through our reliable Refineries: D2 DIESEL OIL GOST 305-82, JP54 AVIATION KEROSENE COLONIAL GRADE, UREA 46%/PRILLS, LNG, LPG, REBCO, MAZUT100 GOST 10585-75/99, AUTOMOTIVE GAS OIL(AGO). We as well secure allocations from our various Refineries for our numerous buyers who are interested in Spot transactions on FOB/CIF deliveries to any world safe port (AWSP). Our Refineries have their products both at Russian ports and Rotterdam port. we also have a reliable SHIPPING COMPANY if you are in need of find the contact bellow.
    Email: baevsergeyalexandrovich@bk.ru
    BAEV SERGEY ALEXANDROVICH.

    ReplyDelete

  4. EMERGENCY LOAN OFFER APPLY FAST
    Fast Cash Online
    low interest rate as low as 2%
    Financial Cash Available Here From $3k to $1 million
    Business Personal Cash
    I'll advise contact us via
    Contact Us At : abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250, 000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250, 000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Whats App +91-8929509036 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr. Alpha Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr. Alpha Loan Firm via Email call or add us on what's app+91-9818603391 call or add us on what's app +44-7547259888 Contact Us At : clemalphafinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  7. PLEASE READ!!!! PLEASE READ!!!! PLEASE READ!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!

    Hey Guys!!!Am so happy I got my blank ATM card can withdraw € 2,000 daily. I got it from Her last week and now I have €14,000 . The blank ATM withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it, it is not traceable and now i have money for business and enough money for me and my family to live on . I am really happy i met him because i met two people before her and they took my money not knowing that they were scams. But am happy now. He sent the card through DHL and i got it in two days. Get your own card from her now she is not like other scammer pretending to have the ATM card, She is giving it out for to help people even if it is illegal but it helps a lot and no one ever gets caught. i'm grateful to him because he changed my story all of a sudden . The card works in all countries except, Mali and Nigeria. His email address is : int.hackers002@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I am very happy to share my Happiness with everyone.
    I received a Master Card just last week and it pays me 5,000€ ( Five thousand euros) at a spot, I tried today again and the same 5,000€ was paid out, This card will give me 5,000€ daily for 6 months. If you are in need of urgent money you can get this card as well , just contact the details below
    Contact Person: Prof Alexander Castro
    whatsapp +17042750147
    E-Mail: hacklords.investors@gmail.com
    atmservices44 @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a direct genuine provider for BG/SBLC specifically for lease, at leasing price of 4+2 of face value, Issuance by HSBC London/Hong Kong or any other AA rated Bank in Europe, Middle East or USA.

    Contact : Mr. DARREN C CHENG
    Email: Darrencraig002@gmail.com
    skype : keatcheng2@gmail.com

    Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved.

    All inquires to Mr. Darren should include the following minimum information so I can quickly address your needs:

    Complete contact information:
    What exactly do you need?
    How long do you need it for?
    Are you a principal borrower or a broker?

    Contact me for more details.

    Whatsapp: +19733700521

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fine di tutte le preoccupazioni di denaro con il mio prestito offrono J'offre 5000 a 200.000 €000 con un interesse del 3% all'e-mail anno: (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036

    ReplyDelete